We are delighted to be exclusively partnering with Oak Trees Multi Academy Trust to recruit a Financial Controller. This role will be based on the Wirral and has been created due to rapid growth of the organisation. This opportunity is offering an attractive salary package, inclusive of generous holiday allowance and Local Government Pension Scheme.
Oak Trees Multi Academy Trust (MAT) was formed on 1st June 2017. They currently have 9 Schools within the MAT, all of which are Wirral based. The Trust was set up to provide the best possible education experience for all pupils and enable the schools to keep their uniqueness and individuality. Oak Trees staff are the most valuable resource they have to improve the outcomes of children, they also recognise the importance parents and carers play in the education of their children. The Trustees, via the CEO, COO and School Improvement Lead, set the standards required for the MAT. Each school is responsible for their own budget.
What Makes Oak Trees MAT Unique?
- Their values - Respect, Collaboration, Inspiration
- Each Trust school maintains its uniqueness
- They work together for the benefit of their families and staff
- They focus on best practice, high quality training and challenge to inspire staff and pupils
- High quality CPD - they work with national and international educationalists including Mary Myatt, Tom Sherrington, Ross McGill and the ADHD Foundation
- Staff wellbeing and workload is a priority
- SEND support - they have their own Educational Psychologist, ADHD Foundation SLA, SEND Lead, SEND finance and pedagogy trainers and Speech and Language Service Level Agreement
- Performance in 2022 was the best since the Trust was formed - 6% above national across the MAT in 2022
The Financial Controller will lead the core service Finance Function on behalf of the Chief Operating Officer and play a key strategic role with financial oversight of all schools. Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Work closely with Headteachers and Executive Heads to prepare robust budgets for all schools within your region, clearly documenting assumptions and risks.
- Effectively monitor delivery against budgets, including regular updates to forecasts (using the Trust Budgeting System, Access) and provide supporting commentary.
- Support the Chief Operating Officer in the preparation of annual accounts, DfE returns (including the Annual Accounts Return and BFR return), Teachers Pensions Audit and other financial statements in accordance DfE/ESFA/HMRC requirements.
- Ensure accurate year-end accrual and pre-payment adjustments are made, with supporting documentation to evidence assumptions.
- Engagement with payroll services to ensure accurate payroll journals and reconciliation of the payroll control account, providing oversight of other key month-end checks.
- Lead for annual external and internal audit process - ensuring accurate information is provided and queries answered on a timely basis.
- Support the Chief Operating Officer in preparation of Trust-wide financial manuals, training and guidance notes.
- Ensure the accounting software is fit for purpose and used to its full potential and in line with the Trusts instructions.
- Build and maintain an in-depth understanding of the High Needs Funding methodology and supporting processes and procedures within your area, quality assuring calculations and ensuring schools receive the maximum income they are entitled to.
- Deliver visible and professional leadership of the Finance Team. To lead, motivate, support, challenge and develop other people in order to secure improvement.
- Work with the Trust executive and Academy leadership teams to support strategic planning.
- Provide expert advice to the Trust executive; Trustees; and local governors as and when required.
Oak Trees MAT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. The highest priority must be given to following the guidance and approaches to safeguard children and follow all safeguarding procedures outlined by the MAT and member schools.
- It is essential you are a Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, AGMA/CIMA, CIPFA or equivalent).
- Level 5 Qualification (Degree or equivalent) or commensurate experience.
- Proven track record in a senior position of a significant finance function.
- Experience of designing, implementing and maintaining financial management processes and controls.
- Financial reporting including skills and experience of working with stakeholders to develop strong financial understanding.
- Demonstrable understanding of the principles and practice of identifying and managing risks.
- Experience of producing and presenting complex management accounts.
- Experience of working in accordance with statutory regulations and knowledge of academy financial rules and regulations is desirable.
- Ability to evidence working examples of people management is essential.
- Strong MS Excel skills (comfortable using pivot tables, v-lookups, understanding formulae).
- High ethical standards and influencing skills with the ability to engage effectively with all staff across the Trust.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Able to lead discussions in key meetings and challenging others where required.
- Work reliably under pressure to produce timely, accurate information.
£59,955 - £62,867 per annum (NJC Points EP014 : 54-57).
27 days annual leave, rising to 32 days on length of service.
Local Government Pension Scheme (20.8% employer contribution).
A career in an organisation that values individuality and diversity.
Access to Occupational Health and 24/7 access to a free Employee Assistance Programme.
Regular wellbeing events across all schools to promote staff wellbeing and celebrate success.
Access to private medical plans via Medicash and Childcare vouchers.
Free tea and coffee at each academy for all staff.
Reduced cost staff lunches.
Free parking at each of the Wirral Schools.
EA First Ltd are acting as an Employment Agency for this permanent vacancy.